Skip to Main Content

Avoid This Do-it-Yourself Disaster

If your car has a serious problem, you call a mechanic. No one would call a botanist to fix an automatic transmission. The same applies to complications around your home. If your sewer pipes are clogged and a plunger isn’t enough, you call a plumper, not a mathematician. Specific problems require specific solutions. Eliminating pests from your home is no different. When bugs or vermin invade, your best move is to call a pest professional.

Chemicals that are effective on pests can be dangerous; following directions and storing them properly is essential. You may believe, as many do, that insect or rodent infestations will respond to over-the-counter fixes, but in reality, they only reduce the population for a few days. The benefit vs. the risk of these chemicals for a do-it-your-selfer is tenuous at best. Below are some examples taken from the daily news.

Case 1: Un-certified Help

Anyone applying pesticides for another individual or business must be certified and trained in the use and application of chemicals.

Noticing an aphid infestation in his apple tree, a man contacted his neighbor for advice. The neighbor stated that he had some pesticides that would clear up the problem. After a liberal dose, the tree and all nearby vegetation died. The mistaken chemical was an herbicide meant for killing plants.

Case 2: Reading the Directions

Pesticide labels contain specific directions for proper application. These are not just recommendations. They are in place to warn against misuse and are the law. Using any chemical requires extreme caution.

A man was spraying for wasps around his home. Within two hours, he developed the symptoms of pesticide poisoning and was rushed to the emergency room. The label specifically stated that all applications should be made from a distance, yet the man had been spraying from directly below the nests. Large amounts of the chemical were absorbed through his skin.

Case 3: Keeping Chemicals Secure

Professional pest control experts are required to keep chemicals in secure locations. You should do the same. All pesticide labels instruct users to keep these products out of the reach of children.

Recently, a seven-year-old girl climbed onto the counter to get a can of air freshener that she saw on top of the refrigerator. She went to her room, closed the door and began to spray away. Her mom was startled to hear sounds of gasping coming from her child’s room. The mother immediately rushed the girl to the hospital. The aerosol was actually an insecticide with a flowery label.

Case 4: Restricted Use

Due to their inherent dangers, there are pesticides unavailable to the public. Because of their specific education and training, licensed pesticide applicators are the only individuals who have lawful access to these dangerous restricted-use chemicals.

Noticing a problem with gophers around his yard, a man contacted a friend. The friend came over with strong poisonous pellets and generously sprinkled them around the yard, guaranteeing that it would fix the problem. In a few days, the entire family became seriously ill. The restricted use rodenticide was supposed to be buried. The friend was heavily fined for using a restricted chemical without a license.

Call Rove Pest Control

Pesticides are inherently dangerous. Incorrect use can create serious problems. Professional pest control experts have the training and appropriate licensure to keep you and your family safe from chemical misuse. The cost of simple mistakes isn’t worth it.

So remember; don’t let your botanist friend fix your transmission and when you need to rid your home of pests, call the licensed and trained professionals at Rove Pest Control.